Friday, January 11, 2008

Primary Colors

I wrote up this huge post as a response to Carrie's political angst post (which itself seemed to be a response to Mrs. White's political angst) this week but then realized that it was the sort of thing I ought to, you know, put on my own blog. But seriously, go read the two blogs I just linked because they're both way better writers than I am.

I've done little to differentiate any of the Democratic candidates in my mind because the Democrats have decided that Michiganders are not worthy to participate in their primary. However, I do have a lot of concerns regarding whether either Clinton or Obama can actually get elected.

Hillary faces the conundrum that Carrie has experienced... if you're a strong woman, you're a bitch; if you're a caring woman, you're weak and emotionally unbalanced. If you're a Democrat and support Hillary, you hate brown people. She and her husband also galvanize the Republicans like no one else can. Republicans HATE Bill Clinton (they impeached him for lying about a blow job!!) and if Hillary is nominated the Republican turnout for the Presidential election will be absolutely enormous.

I'd love to think that the fact that Barack Obama is an African American won't matter in 2008, but there's a corner of my brain that snickers every time I try to tell myself that with a straight face. If he is the Democratic candidate, he will bring a LOT of people to the polls who wouldn't normally go near a voting machine. Whether that turns out to be a positive or a negative is up in the air, but the cynic in me believes that there are more non-voting racists who will vote against Barack Obama than non-voting minorities who will vote for Barack Obama. So you have the racist front, which is a problem for the Democrats, but one which the Republicans can't really advertise. The other front that Obama faces a lot of problems on is his lack of experience. He's a great speaker, and a good senator, but he's been involved in national politics for only 4 years, and has never lead the executive branch of anything. I'm not saying I agree with this point... I'm just saying it's going to be a valid concern for undecided voters. Once again, a 2nd candidate with major roadblocks to winning a national election.

But then again, where does this leave us? Edwards? Pray that Gore pulls a Nader and decides to run? Once again, the Democrats have brought us a completely uncompelling set of candidates. This feels exactly like 2004 all over again, and it scares the bejezus out of me.

No comments: