Monday, January 14, 2008

Come with me if you want to live

I've watched episodes 1 & 2 of The Sarah Connor Chronicles. It's off to a pretty good start. The action is good, and the writers managed a deft sidestep of the blatant continuity error that everyone familiar with the Terminator movies recognized as soon as word of the series came out... i.e. in Terminator 3, Sarah Connor dies of cancer in 2005.

I'm nearly alone in this assessment but I honestly thought T3 was a drastically underrated movie. I rented it with some friends on a New Year's Eve a couple years ago, expecting to get drunk and make fun of it MST3K-style for a couple hours, but even the most jaded of us had to admit that it wasn't quite as bad as we figured it would be. It was more of a return to the roots of the series... Terminator 2 was a really good big budget action flick but it was much less of a science fiction movie than the original. T3 brought back the lower budget sci-fi feel to a large extent. I'm willing to admit that my opinion of T3 is colored by expectations... I was expecting nothing but was rewarded with an entertaining movie.

I'm worried that The Sarah Connor Chronicles will fall victim to really bad tech and continuity errors. Even in the 2nd episode, they ran into a rigged safe that delivered a jolt of electricity big enough to reboot a Terminator... which John was able to touch by putting his sweatshirt over his finger. Not to mention the fact that there are now apparently roving packs of people from the future living in 2007 fighting over the future. It's going to stretch the boundaries of plausibility that all this time travel won't have long term effects.

In the end though, it's an entertaining show - things blow up, there's some robot kung fu, and hot chicks. I can't complain.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I liked the first episode enough, although it was very pilot-y. Haven't watched the second yet. I'm intrigued by this supposed differentness of this terminator.

Carrie said...

Ok, now I watched the second one. I think it was pretty good also. I definitely liked how they dealt with the cancer issue. All the actors are growing on me too. I'll keep watching so far!

PAK said...

My only beef with the show so far is that it perpetuates the notion of John Connor as a whiny emo kid who somehow will lead humanity against the machines in just 4 years, despite the fact that his mom shelters him to such an extent. Hopefully they'll eventually show John growing into the capable leader he is in the future.