Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Wire: Season 1

The Wire: Season 1 is one of the best seasons of television you will find anywhere. The writing is superb. My heart was in my throat as various plots wound towards the conclusion. It teaches of... inevitability, which isn't exactly a hot topic for most cop shows. Most cop shows are simple and neat, and the streets of Baltimore as shown in The Wire are neither. The complexity and nuance are way beyond anything you'll see on network TV. It rings with truth that most shows about crime can't touch. It's a damned shame not many people watch this show. It's certainly better than The Sopranos, and I really liked that show.

If I or someone in my family were murdered, I'd want Jimmy McNulty on the case.

Seasons 2, 3, and 4 will follow. Series-ending season 5 starts this weekend - hopefully I'll be able to catch up and watch the last episode when it airs. Not being done with The Sopranos when the finale aired last year really sucked and I don't want a repeat this year, even if The Wire isn't nearly as popular as The Sopranos was.

No comments: